Updated: Jul 20, 2020
I am a massive fan of carrot cake !
I started baking when i was a young kiddo and still to this day is one of my favourite cakes to bake. This recipe is healthier version in comparison to the original recipe i used as a kid over 15 years ago. The carrot cake has been cooked for centuries with the first recipe originating from the medieval era. Traditionally no sugar was added to the cake as carrots were apparently incredibly sweet. Carrots were also originally purple in colour before dutch growers cultivated mutant strains of the purple carrot.
Carrots are naturally high in vitamin A which very important for normal vision, the immune and reproductive system.
Classic Carrot Cake
Prep time 15 mins Cook time 35-45 mins Skill level: Easy
Ingredients for cake:
1/2 cup walnut meal
1/2 desiccated coconut
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup cassava flour
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of baking powder
120 g of honey or maple syrup
100 ml of olive oil
4 grated carrots
lactose free cream cheese
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1) Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
2) Grease a large baking tin
3) Place the eggs, olive oil, and honey into a mixing bowl ( i use kitchen aid but any stand mixer will do).
4) Put mixer on a high speed and mix until wet ingredients are light and fluffy
5) Place dry ingredients into food processor and mill until a fine flour forms.
6) Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture then add the grated carrots and lemon zest.
7) Pour cake batter into a baking tin and bake for approximately 35 to 45 mins until a cake skewer comes out clean.
1) Place the lactose free cream cheese, honey and lemon zest into a mixing bowl
2) Put mixer on a high speed and mix until icing is light and fluffy
3) Wait for cake to cool before putting icing on cake