Updated: Jun 2, 2020
The Healthy version of a classic American pumpkin pie, filled with wholesome ingredients leaving you satisfied. Fibre from the filling to the crust, fresh fruit and veg and a healthy serving of nuts. These are perfect snack during winter, especially when craving more starchy foods.
Wholesome Vegan Pumpkin Tarts
Prep time: 40 mins
cook time total: 20 mins
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup tapioca or cassava flour
1/4 cup dates
1 tsp of baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp of any alternative milk (i usually use almond)
500 g pumpkin
3 large apples
2 tbsp of maple syrup (if needed)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of mixed spice
1. Begin by preparing the filling, peel the apples and pumpkin, cut into small squares and place in a pot 1/4 filled with water. Boil in till soft (alternatively you can bake the pumpkin and apple in till soft (more retention of nutrients).
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
3. Place pumpkin and apple into a food processor while hot, add the other ingredients and blend so their are no lumps in the mixture.
4. Place filling in fridge to cool.
5. As for the tart shells, add all the dry ingredients into a food processor and blend in till relatively fine flour forms.
6. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients allowing a dough to form.
7. Line a small muffin pan with baking paper and press a tablespoon of dough into each muffin mold, making sure it is pressed evenly around all sides.
8. Place tray into oven, cook for 10-12 minutes in till crust are a light brown and hold their shape.
9. Allow the crusts to cool before adding filling.
10. Add 2 tbsp of filling to each crust and decorate with extra cinnamon, place in fridge and serve cold.